Friday, June 26, 2009

The Greatest Football Player to ever throw a football

  1. Trooper Keeton on May 25th, 2009 6:48 pm

    Ok, I will step up to the line of scrimmage and tell you kids a little something about the late, great Johnny Unitas. It was the early 70’s when the AFL first started playing the Nfl. It was in the Astrodome the AFL Oilers were leading the NFL Colts by 20 points with about 7 mins left to play when the legend finally stepped on to the Astro truff. My heart skipped a beat or ten. All my life from a far I had read and heard about Johnny. Houston was a long way from Baltimore and the Nfl. We wanted so much to win the game because it was the AFL vs. the Nfl. Never had I wanted more for the Houston Oilers to win a game. I thought we can hold them off there is only seven mins. left, Johnny U. is old and we are young. One could not help but enjoy to see this man play. First, I noticed he seemed to be calling his own plays. He was everything I had hear as he worked the field. He worked it like no one I had ever seen including George Blanda. The short game was eating up the astro truff like alien termites. It seemed as though he directed one drive for a TD before the kids even knew who he was. Then I started to notice this smallish QB had a big accurate arm. I can remember the dirt flying up in the infield from his recievers cheats as his reciever pulled in a perfect long pass of about 65 yards in the air. That reciever was the player who had one leg shorter than the other. Can’t remember his name might have been Gallimore. Well seemed that before the dust had settled in the infield, Johnny and his Colts had scored two more touchdowns in slightly less that the aloted seven mins. We upstart AFL fans were so broken. But looking back I would not have wanted it any other way. For until the day I can see Johnny again I will always remember him for what he was, the greatest football player to throw a pass. trooperkeeton.com

No comments: